Friday, June 15, 2012

Frugal Friday Link Up--Even More Uses for Vinegar



Happy Friday!
I have spent this week working on getting myself back into some routines, using my index card system from the Sidetracked Home Executives book.   I love the system but when my computer chair was hurting my back, I moved away from my desk and sat on the couch----away from my box of cards.
Once I got a different chair I didn't get back to using the cards.  There are lots of systems out there on staying organized, this is just one that happens to work for me.   I've been feeling a lot better about things this week, and getting more done.

I'm also still keeping up with my coupons like I should too.  I've already saved over $20 more this month than I did last month and the month is only half over.

This week I am sharing the last of the uses for vinegar from the  99-Cent Solutions: Easy Ways to Save Thousands of Dollars
book.

1. Stop excessive barking. Fill a spray bottle with water and add a few tablespoons of white vinegar. If your dog is known for a lot of barking while out on a walk, just spray a mist in front of him when he starts. He will soon get the idea, but be careful not to spray it in his eyes.

2. Eradicate a carsick odor. Yuck! You know that smell after someone has gotten sick in your car. Erase the smell overnight by placing an uncovered bowl of half-full undiluted white vinegar on the floor of the car. This will also work for other odors as well.

3. Mark your car gleam. Skip the wax and use vinegar instead. A teaspoon of undiluted white vinegar in the bucket of soapy wash water will help remove road grit and tar from the paint. Add another teaspoon of vinegar to the bucket of rinse water. For an added touch, wipe down the windows with vinegar to repel rain and frost.

4. Treat a cold sore. When you feel that cold sore coming on, get out the apple cider vinegar. Douse a cotton ball and dab your lip three times a day. If you already have the cold sore, do the same. The pain and swelling will subside and the vinegar speeds the healing.

5. Use as an aftershave. If you've got sensitive skin, commercial aftershaves with their strong scents can result in itching and irritation. Splash on a handful of white vinegar instead for a bracing tonic with no redness. (There's a Father's Day gift idea for you--LOL)

6. Save a paintbrush. If you forgot to wash out the paintbrush, it's not lost. You may be able to revive it by soaking it overnight in undiluted white vinegar. Bend it as it starts to soften to let the vinegar work in. When it's soft again, wash with hot soapy water.

7. Keep plaster pliable. Plaster dries quickly. Buy yourself some time by adding in a few tablespoons of white vinegar as you mix the plaster. It will dry more slowly.

8. Protect plants from mildew. A quart of water and a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar sprayed directly on the leaves--preferably in the early morning or evening---will stop those powdery mildew or rust spots on your garden plants.




1 comment:

  1. Well thanks for the tip about stopping a dog barking! I am going to try this, will let you know how I get on!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...