Friday, December 2, 2011

Frugal Friday Link Up--Three Uses for Ketchup

Another month has gone by and Christmas is just around the corner. I've still been picking up a few bargains along the way. I'm in hopes today to get my list made, get all the things I have saved back for gifts sorted, and to start wrapping. I know there are a few more gifts I'm going to have to buy to fill in, but I won't know what for sure until I get what I have looked through.
I fill a tote throughout the year as I get good deals with coupons, on clearance, prize wins, and even things bought at yard sales.

This week in the 99 Cent Solutions book we are up to used for ketchup. There are 3 uses listed in the book:

1. Clean detailed silver patterns. The acids in ketchup will quickly remove every last speck of tarnish from an elaborate silver pattern, leaving it gleaming. Smear a few pieces at a time with ketchup and let them sit for several minutes. Rinse a piece to see how it's coming along. If needed, apply more ketchup, but keep checking so you don't do any damage with the acid. When the silver is shined to your satisfaction, rinse with warm water and buff with a soft, lint-free cloth.

2. Banish chlorine green hair. Too much time in the pool can leave a distinct green cast to any light-colored hair, not to mention the smell of chlorine that also builds up. To return your hair to it's rightful color, massage ketchup into your wet hair while in the shower and leave it in for 10 minutes. Rinse well and shampoo as usual.

3. Brighten the copper. Smear a generous layer of ketchup all over the copper surface you want to clean. The acidic coating quickly works to remove every speck of tarnish. Rinse with warm water and buff to a shine to make your brightwork bright again. (Over the years many times we've soaked pennies to make them look new again....especially ones we've found down in the car seat, out in the street, etc.)

That's it for this week, now it's your turn to share any post that is related to being frugal or saving money! I look forward to being inspired!




1 comment:

  1. I would love to hear how you put your gifts together through out the year maybe you can do a blog about how you sort it all out and pick out just the right things for everyone on your list.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...