Friday, December 16, 2011

Frugal Friday Link Up--5 Uses for Lemon Juice

With Christmas right around the corner now, it's been more important than ever, or maybe I should say, more necessary than ever, to be on the frugal side.
I still have a few gifts to take care of, which is not like me at all.  I'm the one who keeps a large tote all year long, filling it as I find good deals throughout the year.  Oh, my tote was over flowing and had more piled on top, but the contents were not the same.
Each year my children have come to depend on that "health and beauty" package that I put together for them.  You know, body wash, deoderant, razors, toothpaste, toothbrushes, etc etc.  I have some of that this year, but not "complete sets" for all like I usually have.
It's been a strange year for me with money and coupons.  I've sure not done the kind of shopping I normally would have done!

Anyway....I do hope everyone who is reading this is on their way to a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year too!

This week I am sharing 5 uses for lemon juice from the 99 Cent Solutions book.

This is referring to using the bottled lemon juice that you buy, but I wouldn't see why, if you wanted to fresh squeeze the juice, these wouldn't also work.

1.  Cook fluffy rice.  Add a tablespoon of juice to the water when making rice.  When it's cooked, fluff with a fork.  The rice will not be sticky.

2.  Crisp up lettuce.  If you've let your bag of salad stay in the fridge a few days too long, just put a couple tablespoons of lemon juice in a bowl of cold water and let the lettuce soak for 20 minutes.  It will be crispy and fresh again.

3.  Remove stains from marble.  If you have a really stubborn stain on marble, try scrubbing with a paste of lemon and salt.  This should remove the stain, but don't scrub too hard.  Rinse very well so that no acid remains that will damage the stone.

4.  Clean a crusty microwave.  Mix 2 cups of water with 1/4 cup of lemon juice in a microwave-safe bowl and cook on high for 8 minutes.  The steam will loosen food particles on the walls and the glass, making it easy to wipe clean with a few swipes. (I've heard of water---need to try this with the lemon juice added!)

5.  Replace salt.  If you have high blood pressure, sprinkle your food with lemon juice instead of salt.  Chefs say this really works. (I am assuming this is while cooking, not while on your plate)

 That's it for this week.  I'm enjoying going through this book--99 Cent Solutions with my blog readers, and I'm learning new things along the way.  I still plan on changing this Friday post up a bit, but probably not until after the new year.   I do hope you will link up any frugal type posts you have.  The linky stays open all week.
 


1 comment:

  1. suebunting1977@gmail.com I love your frugal friday posts especially Clean a crusty microwave, I get so tired of scrubbing sauce out of the microwave. Thank You!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...