Friday, August 26, 2011

Frugal Friday Link Up 8/26/11

Welcome to Friday and the start of the weekend.
I think it's been a pretty good week. I've been working on my coupon binder all week. It's been a goal of mine to complete since joining in on the 52 Weeks of Organizing challenge with orgjunkie. The binder isn't complete yet. I still have a lot of coupons to get in to it. In fact, so many that I don't think my 60 pages that I bought are going to hold all of them.
I paid $34.45 for the 60 coupon binder pages with shipping. The special deal was that as a bonus I received 22 Sunday supplement coupon inserts from past weeks. The first thing I did was go through those inserts and take out coupons I thought I would use right away. I came up with $31 worth so almost enough to cover my cost in savings. That made me feel better. I didn't end up getting them all used, but since cutting out the coupons from the rest of the inserts I have already used 4 more of the coupons.
I will be doing a post later with photos. I hope you will check it out. I will also link up the later post with next week's frugal linky.

I'm more or less naturally a frugal person. I actually enjoy making due with what we have. Extravagance doesn't make me happy. I like that feeling.

I stopped at a few yard sales this past weekend. I was specifically looking for things I could use in my crafting. I didn't buy anything except at one. I paid $1 for a VHS of the movie Grease. The grandkids love that movie.

I did pick up a t-shirt for myself on clearance at Wal Mart for $1. I also picked up a shirt that will part of a Christmas gift for just $1 too. I wish I would have thought more along the lines of Christmas past the one shirt though as I have several to buy for and some no clue what to get, or make them.

Each week I've been sharing tips out of the 99 Cent Solutions book that I bought. We are still on baking soda!
1. Soothe a canker sore. It's hard to believe how much pain a tiny sore on the inside of your mouth can cause. Soothe the pain away and help heal the sore faster by swishing every other couple of hours with a solution of 1 teaspoon of baking soda stirred until it dissolves into 1 cup of warm water.

2. Soak your way to comfort. In the evening, put your feet into a basin of cool water with baking soda stirred in. Soak for 15 to 20 minutes. This will soother your feet and help cut down on odor during the day, and it will also help dry up athlete's foot. (Boy am I going to make my husband do this!)

3. Soften hard water washes. Add 1/4 cup of baking soda to a hot white wash to boost the strength of your usual detergent and get your whites brighter. (I'm going to give this one a try too.)

4. Ready your AC for the season. Window air units need the filters washed before each season. Brush off any obvious dirt from the filter then lay it in a basin of water with several tablespoons of baking soda mixed in. Swish it in the water to clean then rinse and dry it in the sun before replacing it in the unit.









0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...