Saturday, March 3, 2012

The Principles of Knitting by June Hemmons Hiatt



The Principles of Knitting
by June Hemmons Hiatt
Touchstone/Simon & Schuster
Hardcover--712 pages
ISBN 978-1-4165-3517-1

Information provided to me about the book:
The Principles of Knitting has served as a treasured resource for an entire generation of knitters.  Now completely revised and updated, this long-awaited new edition contains indispensable information for every knitter,  from the beginner to the most experienced, on all aspects of the craft.

Written in clear, direct language, The Principles of Knitting is like having a knitting mentor by your side, ready to answer any question in a comprehensive, reasoned, and informed manner.  Judy Hemmons Hiatt includes instruction for all facets of knitting, from the most basic skills to the most advanced techniques, and offers suggestions for the best practices as well as alternatives and innovations.  She has repeatedly tested the various techniques and presents them with easy-to-follow instructions---as well as an explanation of what each one can contribute to your knitting.  Informed by decades of experience and thousands of hours of practice, this comprehensive resource offers a variety of ways to approach every skill and technique and offers solutions that can help solve the most challenging aspects of any knitting project.

This completely revised and updated edition includes new instructions, new illustrations, and new information.  While the basics of knitting have not changed much, June's understanding of the material has deepened over the last twenty-five years, and she is eager to share what she has learned with the knitting world.  In addition, the book has been reorganized to make it easier to use and has a gorgeous new design.

The Principles of Knitting
provides the inspiration to help every knitter gain the knowledge and confidence needed to produce unique, beautifully crafted garments, accessories, and household items.  It is the one reference guide no knitter should be without.

For more information you can visit http://www.principlesofknittingbook.com or http://www.simonandschuster.com


My review:
The information above about says it all about this book!
I do know how to knit and have knitted quite a bit over the years.  Recently I've been seeing a lot of patterns I would like to try.  However, my knitting skills aren't too great, just the basics for me.
I was thrilled when I was given the opportunity to review The Principles of Knitting.

Oh my!  There are 712 pages in this book.  It's set up into 8 parts: Learning and Methods, Constructing a Fabric, Decorative techniques, Special Fabrics, Stitch and Color Patterns, Pattern Design, Materials, and Working a Project.

The illustrations in the book are countless.  There are both drawn pictures outlining each stitch or pattern as well as photos of actual work.    The only thing I see this book is missing is actual patterns.  However, patterns can be found everywhere, and as long as you have this book for instructions you will be able to work ANY pattern.

I give this book an A++ and highly recommend it.  I plan to gift the book to my middle daughter, who does enjoy knitting, but like me, only know the basic stitching.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of The Principles of Knitting and information through Touchstone Books for the purpose of this review.  I was not compensated in any other way.  All opinions of the book are my own.


1 comment:

  1. I wish I knew how to knit. I am having trouble finding any knitting clubs around here. It sounds like an awesome book!
    --cmjune76@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...