Friday, January 13, 2012

Frugal Friday Link Up--5 Uses for Milk

Welcome to Friday!
This week for me has been mostly a crafting week.  I am working on getting through my yarn stash as well as my plastic canvas stash.  I'm also working on quilting and things.  I do not want to, or need to, buy anymore craft supplies until I use up what I have!  This could take 2 or 3 years, maybe more, so I am in good shape on getting things made.

I just finished reading through a book that I want to share with you.  It's called Self-Sufficiency.  It's a complete guide to baking, carpentry, crafts, organic gardening, preserving your harvest, raising animals and more!
It's published by Skyhorse publishing, Inc and the ISBN is 978-1-60239-999-0

This is a very large hard back book, consisting of 458 pages.  There are loads of photos and illustrations to teach you how to live sustainably, live simply, and live independently.  
I'm in love with this book!  I have the link to it on amazon below.

There are 3 other books in the series--Back to Basics, Homesteading, and Simpler Living.  I intend to add all of them to my collection and really get serious about all of this!

Self-Sufficiency: A Complete Guide to Baking, Carpentry, Crafts, Organic Gardening, Preserving Your Harvest, Raising Animals, and More! (The Self-Sufficiency Series)





Now I want to move on to sharing from the 99 Cent Solutions book. This week I am sharing 5 uses for milk.
1. Shave your face. Use milk i place of shaving foam. Warm full fat milk and pat it onto your skin. While shaving continue to pat more milk on to keep your skin wet. For men this is probably just an emergency fix, but for us women and shaving our legs, we may never go back!

2. Relieve a child's itchy skin. Mix powdered milk with just enough warm water to make the thickness of heavy cream. Add a tiny pinch of salt and spread it over the affected skin. It's milk enough that you can reapply it as often as necessary to bring relief, just rinse off the previous application and slather on a new one.

3. Take a milk bath! Cleopatra did it, so why not? Milk moisturizes and softens the skin. Pour 2 or 3 cups of milk into the bath as the water runs. You can also use one cup of powdered milk. You can even add a little scented bath oil if you wish. Soak for at least 10 minutes for best results.

4. Sweeten fish and corn. To avoid the wateriness you usually get when thawing fish, place the unwrapped block in a shallow dish of milk to thaw. It will taste fresher when it's cooked. Add 1 cup of milk to the pot of boiling water for corn on the cob and you will get sweeter corn.

5. Have a milk massage. Add a few drops of essential oils to a little milk and spread it over your skin or use it in a bath. Make the solution up fresh when you need it. This will avoid the greasy feeling of the carrier oil.



1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...