Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Homeschool--What is Our Style? Help Me Decide

Going through the Hip Homeschool Moms blog, she has the Ultimate Homeschool Blogroll.   In this linky you can list your homeschool related blog in categories of how you homeschool.  There is Charlotte Mason, Classical, Eclectic, Montessori, Traditional, Unit-Based, Unschool, and Other on her list to choose where to place your blog.

First let me give a little background for those who don't know me.  I started homeschooling in 1999 with my oldest child, and only son.  He was doing very poorly in school after missing a lot of days with migraine headaches and then not caring anymore.  He blossomed at home with me.

The following year my 2 oldest daughters asked if they could be homeschooled too.  My son was in 10th grade at the time.  The following year curcumstances didn't allow me to homeschool but I did start with the girls.  They were in 8th and 5th grades.   My youngest was going to Headstart.

Circumstances again stopped me from homeschool my oldest daughter.  She got pregnant at the age of 14 and was gone from home for a time.  However, I continued to homeschool my middle daughter until she graduated high school.   I still homeschool my youngest daughter, who will be 15 October 9th and is in 9th grade this year.

We have always been a poor family, so buying a full set of curriculum has always been out of the question.  Along the way we've found some Bob Jones, Abeka, etc at yard sales or homeschool sales.  Book sales at the public library have been a Godsend as well as checking out books from the library.

So.....help me figure out just what homeschooling style we use.  I call is eclectic.
Currently we are reading out loud out of books I've checked out from the library pertaining to history and science (gardening).   I have bought the book Home-Ec 101 that we are currently reading out loud for Home Ec.  We read each day in a Guideposts for devotions.  We are working math out of the Math Doesn't Suck book because she has trouble understanding math.  At the same time she is also working out of Saxon Algebra 1/2 handed down from my middle daughter.  (I have all the teacher's editions to this set).  We are working Earth Science out of a text book that I picked up at one of the library book sales.  We are doing English out of a textbook, also bought at the library book sale.   I get books to read and review, those, along with books she chooses of her own at the library comprise her reading.  We attend Bible study at our church once a week.  She attends youth group at another church weekly.  Another thing we do is print out This Day in History papers to read out loud.  I also make some of these in to squidoo lenses.  She has books on drawing that she works in regularly for art. Bible study is big for Jasmine and she does this a lot on her own both in her own Bibles and through the internet.  This is all for now.

I am keeping track of time this year since she is high school and I want to make sure she is earning the proper credits to graduate.

What would you call our style?  If you care to, you can check out a couple of the lenses I have built on squidoo documenting our homeschool journey.  The first one is an old one when she wanted to attempt unschooling.  The second one is one from this past school year.    Please let me know what you think.
 Our Unschooling Journal

Our Homeschooling Journey 2010...

I'm going to build at least one this year.  My plan is rather than a journal type to highlight books we are using throughout the year.  This may or may not go in to a 2nd lens.  We do use a lot of books.



This is my first week to hook up with Hip Homeschooling Mom's and her weekly Hip Homeschool Hop.

 Hip Homeschool Hop Button

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...