Friday, September 9, 2011

Frugal Friday Link Up 9/9/11

We've had some frugal dinners this week.

I picked up a bag of popcorn chicken on sale for $1. We picked up 2 bowls of chicken chow mein noodles for .99 each. We mixed it all together with some sweet and sour sauce my daughters boyfriend had brought home from work free. $2.98 for that quick meal on the run.

Another night I picked up a package of hot dogs for $1 at the store, along with some cottage cheese on sale for $1.25. We had bought a cantaloupe on sale for $1.99 a couple days before. I also opened up a can of baked beans we had bought for $1.38. This meal cost a total of $4.62 we had a decent meal. It was only the 3 of us eating so we had the same meal for lunch yesterday too. Two meals for $4.62. Pretty good.

Last night I pulled out items that we've had for awhile---and I do mean awhile! I found a package of boneless check breasts in the freezer along with a bag of spinach and a box of mixed veggies. I had cooked the chicken in the crockpot. I cooked up what was left of 2 different kinds of pasta in the cabinet, I add it to the chicken and a jar of Alfredo sauce I found in the back of the cabinet. I opened a can of applesauce that we had gotten with commodity foods. My husband works for Sara Lee so bread is always free. Add in some bread with supper and we had a good meal.

What's for supper tonight? I really have no idea!

Here are this week's tips from the 99 Cent Solutions book. We are still on baking soda!

1. Eat naked fruit. Give your fruits and veggies a baking soda bath. Dampen the produce with water, sprinkle a vegetable brush with baking soda and scrub before you eat them. Rinse well. This will remove the wax and reduces pesticides.

2. Be tender to tummies. A very tiny pinch in tomato soup, coffee or orange juice can prevent an acidic stomach for those with delicate stomachs.

3. Faux age wood. When putting new wood next to older wood you can stir in 1 cup of baking soda into a liter of water. Scrub the mixture into the wood with a stiff brush and splash on cool water to rinse. When it dries, the fresh new look will have faded.

4. Miracle for the microwave. Put one cup of water and a few tablespoons of baking soda into a glass container. Microwave on high for 3 minutes then easily remove all that baked on gunk and grime in a snap with a damp sponge.

5. No stick, no rust, no kidding ! For non-stick pans that food did stick to just scrub the spots with a damp sponge sprinkled with baking soda. Make sure to wet the sponge well to dissolve the baking soda to avoid scratching your non-stick. This also works to get rust off of cast iron.

That's it for me today. I hope to see lots of link ups this week!






0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...