Friday, August 19, 2011

Frugal Friday Link Up 8/19/11

Good Friday to all.

I must get myself more in to the frugal mode. I'm still pondering and trying to work on the whole simple living concept.

I purchased binder pages for my coupons. Included in the package was a bonus of 22 past Sunday coupon inserts. I was able to pull coupons out of there that I will be using right away to almost cover the cost of the package. I'm heavily in the process of getting my coupon binder put together. It's going to take some time to get all my coupon organized in it, but it's moving along nicely.

Speaking of coupons, I did a few small coupon trips this past week. The post will be in the linky below. I can't wait to get paid some more paypal from other websites so that I can go do more shopping! I have a whole stack of coupons just waiting for Wal Mart.

I'm also linking up a post about one of my granddaughter's birthday gifts that I made. It's better to make home made gifts anyway. These gifts are what I came up with on the fly when it was birthday time and no money to go out and buy gifts. I have 2 more posts to get in on the 2 other girls' gifts. They are the same things, but different.

Here are the tips to share for today from the 99 Cent Solutions book. We are still on baking soda. Who knew that baking soda had so many useful uses?

1. Clean a glass front fireplace. If the glass in front of your fireplace or woodstove is blackened with soot and smoke, it's time for baking soda. Crumple a sheet of newspaper, wet it in water, and dip it in baking soda. Scrub the glass, the black stuff will come right off. Wipe with a damp cloth. You can use the same technique to get soot off the glazed bricks lining the fireplace.

2. Stop a mosquito bite in its tracks. Pour a tablespoon of baking soda in your palm, wet it with a few drops of water to make a paste, then smear it on the bite area. Let it dry and flake off. If you treat the mark this was as soon as you can, there will be no red welt from the bite, and the itching will subside almost instantly. The same treatment works for bee stings, assuming you have carefully removed any sign of the stinger.

3. Control cradle cap. The flaky scalp on infants knows as cradle cap is harmless and will usually go away on its own, but most moms can't stand to look at it on the baby's head without trying to rub it away. Make a paste in your palm of a couple tablespoons baking soda and a teaspoon of water. Rub gently on the affected area, being careful not to get near the eyes, and then wipe off with a damp washcloth, using no soap or baby shampoo. Repeat for 2 or 3 days until the flakiness lessens. (if the baking soda causes the baby's head to become red, the soda may be too abrasive, so try baby oil instead.)(I wish I had known about this. I would have tried it before the baby oil that is so hard to get washed back out of their hair.)

Until next week, I hope to see lots of inspiration linked up for the week. Remember, the linky remains open for the entire week so you don't have to link up just on Friday.






0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...