Friday, April 8, 2011

How Dare You Say How Dare Me!--Autobiography of Pat Cooper--Review

An Autobiography of a Life in Comedy--Pat Cooper  How Dare You Say How Dare Me!  
As told to Rich Herschlag and Steve Garrin with a foreward by Jerry Lewis.

ISBN 978-0-7570-0363-9
Square One Publishers

Information taken from the promotional paper sent to me with the book: (Excerpts only)
Few comics today can say they have worked with the likes of George Burns, Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, and Bobby Darin, but Pat Cooper can.   Born Pasquale Caputo, he came on to the show business scene in 1963.
Pat Cooper is brash and honest about what is going on around him.   That makes for an amazing, offbeat story of his life.

In How Dare You Say How Dare Me!  Cooper shares memorable, typically comical moments from his youth, including the loss of his virginity to a middle-aged yenta, and his efforts to join the military, at age 17, only to be kicked out for having hammerhead toes.  A 7th generation brick layer by trade, he started out performing his stand-up routine in small clubs and theaters at night.  He got his big break into the big time there. 

My book review:
When I seen the opportunity to review this book through Square One Publishers I went for it, but for one reason.  My husbands last name is Cooper.   Admittedly once I got the book in the mail, I wondered what I was thinking.  Would I really be interested in reading this?
My question was answered as soon as I opened the book and started reading.  The very first day I started reading the book I read to page 60 before making myself stop so that I could get other things done.
I found this book to be a great read.  Very entertaining and interesting.
Pat Cooper tells of his life from just about the time of his birth (in 1929) to now.  Whoa!  This man has had one life!  
As I read the book, I was always recounting to those around me the things I had just read.  Nope, not going to go in to details and ruin the book, but will say there is sure an interesting read involving Johnny Carson  he he.
I'm not one who appreciates the F word, and you will find this several times on about every page of the book.  But hey, it was part of his life and how he talked.  I'm sure the book and his story just wouldn't be the same if they would have sugar coated the word.

My final say---if you want to be entertained, read this book.  You won't be disappointed.




Disclaimer:  I was sent a copy of the book through Square One Publishers for the purpose of this review.  I was not compensated for the review.  All opinions are my own.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...