Friday, March 16, 2012
Pin ItWhew! Another whirlwind week around our house!
This week I want to share 6 used for soda and cola from the 99 Cent Solutions book:
1. Take rust off of chrome. Crush a piece of aluminum foil and dip it in cola, then scrub off those little dots of rust with ease.
2. Speed up a drain. Slowly pouring a whole 2 ltr. bottle of cola down the drain every once in awhile will help to prevent any clogs that may be forming. It's the potent carbonic acid in the cola that will keep your pipes free and clear.
3. Clean battery corrosion. Dip a rag in cola and wrap it around the battery terminals. Let it sit for several minutes and then scrub off any rust deposits and any cola residue with a damp sponge. The same trick works to loosen rusted-on nuts and bolts.
4. Restore stained porcelain. Pour in 1 1/2 cups of soda and let it sit for an hour. Scrub and flush. Your toilet will be good as new.
5. Get oil off of concrete. Sprinkle the oil spot liberally with sawdust or cat litter, working it in with a broom. Leave for half an hour to soak p the grease. Sweep this up and throw away. Pour enough cola to cover the area and work it in with a rag. Let this sit for half an hour. Mop it up with 2 tbsp. each of laundry detergent and bleach mixed with 2 quarts of warm water. (I've heard of using kitty litter, but sure didn't know about all the other steps that will completely clean the oil off the drive or garage floor.)
6. Keep flowers fresh longer. When putting flowers in a vase, add 1/2 cup of a clear soda, such as Sprite or 7-Up, to the water. The flowers will live for days longer than they would have with just plain water.
Have you post some good frugal tips, shopping trips, recipes, etc this past week? If so, please link them up. Inspriration to save is great for everyone.