Friday, March 9, 2012

Frugal Friday Link Up--5 Uses for Shortening

Pin It
Here we are to another Friday. It's been a good week for being frugal.
I am excited that recyclebank is now "live" in my town. Not only can I earn points for our recycling, but it's increased our recycling. I was lazy on some things, not rinsing cans and such and just throwing them in the trash. Not any more...if it's recyclable it's going in to the cart. I hadn't thought much about plastic bag recycling since they can't be put in to the cart. I read over on the recyclebank website about recycling plastic bags in a bin at the grocery store. Ever since reading that, all plastic bags are now going to the store.
I'm feeling much better about our recycling efforts.

Today I am sharing 5 uses for shortening from the 99 Cent Solutions book:

1. Make a magic snow shovel. Before heading out to shovel the snow, smear a generous amount of solid vegetable shortening on your snow shovel. The snow will slide right off much more quickly.

2. Restore a pair of galoshes. Bring back the shine to your child's galoshes by polishing them with a dab of shortening on a clean rag.

3. Soften your feet. Save yourself more than a few bucks by softening your feet with shortening instead of the fancy foot creams. Shortening contains pretty much the same active ingredient at the fancy foot creams: fat or grease. Before bed, slather it on your soles and put on socks. In the morning you will have satiny soft tootsies.

4. Remove tar from fabric. Scrape off what you can with the edge of a credit card and then work shortening directly in to the stain. Let it sit overnight, then dab up the excess with a paper towel and treat the whole area with a grease remover. Launder as usual.

5. Tell the squirrels to take a hike. Is your bird feeder being raided by the squirrels? Grease the pole of the feeder liberally with shortening. Squirrels won't be able to climb the pole and will soon go find their food elsewhere, leaving the birds to eat in peace.


I hope you are enjoying these tidbits each week. I am loving this book, and I've learned several great tips along with my sharing here on my blog.

Now it's time for you to link up a blog post, or posts. Share those frugal tips and more with us. Thanks!




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...