Wednesday, November 6, 2013

WIP Wednesday 11/6/13

Getting back to my regular posting means that once again I will be posting a WIP (work in progress) Wednesday post each week, and linking up with other blogs.

I've missed doing these posts over the past several months.  I've also missed the motivation that doing these posts provide.

I want to start by sharing the toothbrush rug that I just finished on Monday.  I made this one from a bag of selvage strips and other thin strips of fabric.  The bag was given to me by the Quilt Guild president because she knew I made the rugs.   I will say that I don't plan on making another rug with strips this thin.  They were a lot harder to work with.
I have started another toothbrush rug last night.  This one is an experiment of such as well.  I cut up an entire sheet set and I am curious as to how large of a rug the sheet set will make.
You can't see it very well in the picture as I put it inside the bag with all of the strips.

 Last month at Quilt Guild we had an afternoon workshop taught by Candy Hargrove.  She was teaching us to make mini Log Cabin blocks.  What fun!
The biggest thing that I took away from the workshop was squaring up.  I have made many many quilts and have never owned one of those squaring up tools!  I've always used my cutting mat.  In fact, when she said the words squaring up, I didn't know what she meant.
I can't believe I've been quilting for 4 or 5 years at least and didn't really know.
That is exactly why I love the opportunity to attend workshops.

The strips for the tiny log cabins were supposed to be 1 inch.  I didn't realize that my cutter on the edge was actually 1 1/4 inch, so my strips are a bit larger than intended, therefore my blocks are ending up 6 1/2 inches instead of 4 1/2 inches, but I am going to keep going with them.
I do want to make the smaller ones next.

Here is what I have so far:
 What I really want to do is get into my craft room and get my projects together is PIGS (Projects in grocery sacks)  I want a bag for each project that I would like to be working on.

My guild is having a retreat in June.  It will be my first retreat and I can't wait!  It's going to be local so no out of town or motel.  We will sew on a Friday from 9 am to 11 pm and Saturday from 9 am to 4 pm.  Our meals will be catered in and there will be lots of door prizes.

p.s.  I am doing a lot of writing over on bubblews.  One series that I am working on is a challenge for A to Z Crafts.   If you are interested, you can check out my index of what crafts I have done so far.  I am trying to do most of them with step by step instructions and photos.
Index to my A to Z Craft Challenge Posts - News - Bubblews 


I am linking up with the following blogs:
WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced WIPs on Wednesdays
http://www.sewmuchado.com

7 comments:

  1. What fun! I have never gotten into quilting, but these look fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sure know how to keep busy Marsha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is awesome you had such a great guild workshop! I don't get a chance to go to things like that too often, but when I do, I find I learn so much too! Have fun on the retreat next summer...I'm sure that will be a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of showing your work in progress! I may have to link up sometime too! I'm intrigued by your toothbrush rugs! Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting rag rugs you are making! My mother used to make them when I was growing up! It isn't something I have attempted but have admired those who make them? So are you knitting them with toothbrushes? Lovely log cabins in progress. You can't go wrong with them if making them a bit larger than intended. Thanks for stopping by my blog today and leaving a nice comment on my 16 patch quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have made good progress with your sewing, even if it's turning out a little different to first anticipated.

    ReplyDelete
  7. learning is good isn't it? I really like the look of a log cabin.
    LeeAnna Paylor

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...