Friday, November 29, 2013

Frugal Friday With Marsha 11/29/13 Linky Party



I hope everyone a blessed Thanksgiving.
Last week I said that this week I wanted to talk about Christmas.  It's less than 4 weeks away now!

I am finding myself feeling stressed.  For years and years, and I do mean years and years, I have collected things to use for gifts all year long.
I would get items in the mail, maybe for sending in cereal proofs of purchase, or laundry soap, candy bar wrappers etc.  Then that aspect of my life pretty came to a stand still.  That was my refunding days. Now you rarely see those offers out there anymore.

I kept little savings in envelopes (this really does work, but is a different post).  I had one envelope where I saved for Christmas.  I kept that one with me all the time so if I seen something good on a great sale, or on clearance I would pick it up out of that savings money. 

I would so a lot of coupons throughout the year stocking up on health and beauty aids getting them cheap or free.  A lot of that shopping was done at Walgreen's.  
Every year my grown children could expect a box of health and beauty.......razor, shave gel, deoderant, shower gel, and more.
They have come to expect it.....and count on it.  In fact, they know it's coming so they don't buy that stuff at Christmas time knowing that I will be giving it to them.

This year couponing changed for me.  I had stopped shopping at Walgreen's pretty much all together once we moved farther away from the store.  We did live less than a mile straight up the street from the Walgreen's store.
Our grocery store stopped doubling coupons.  I lost my source of 10 or more Sunday coupons inserts free each week.

I have picked up a few things here and there on the clearance shelves, but not much.   I do have some health and beauty items stashed.
I'm working at making knitted scarves that some have requested for gifts this year.

I'm feeling a bit sad that I don't have that overflowing huge tote in my closet full of gifts.

It's the day after Thanksgiving, the day we always put up the Christmas tree.  My usual spot in front of the front window is no longer available.  I must clean another corner for it.  Wish me luck as that is what I am going to work on next.
 Once the tree is up is when I get out that tote from the closet.  I get out my notebook of names of everyone I need gifts for.   I start by sorting, then I start wrapping and keeping track of what I have for who.
I really do hope to get to that this evening.   

Would you be interested in next week's post being about what I find in that tote and in my coupon stash?  Maybe I am a lot further ahead than I think!

I look forward to the posts that you link up this week.   
If you know of a linky list where I can post this weekly linky for more participation, please let me know in comments.

I also want to mention my handmade gifts linky page here on my blog.  I have it opened up until the end of this year and would love to see more posts linked up there with handmade gift ideas.  It's open to all url's, not just blog posts.   Thanks!!
http://marshasspot.blogspot.com/p/homemade-in-2012-linky.html


 




2 comments:

  1. I look forward to reading your post next week about your gift giving tote and your coupons. Would you be able to show a picture of your Christmas decorations and tree?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only know of one other person who collects gifts all year round. You're good. It is stressful around this time of year. I have two BDs and Christmas…wow.
    I hope you had a great Thanksgiving too. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...