Thursday, May 17, 2012

Squidoo Hopping--Another Lesson Learned






Another lesson learned for me. As most of you know, I had a heads up warning on my Learning About Japan lens. I had no idea why and I sure was fretting about it. I went to the largest squidoo group on facebook and asked others to look at it and tell me what was duplicate---after all, the pop up box told me that it was duplicate content that was the problem. Lots of lensmasters checked it out and none could see what would be duplicate content.

Here is where the lesson comes in. It wasn't even a matter of duplicate content, but instead a matter that I had nothing in the lens except things for sale! As soon as I put in a text list module, which lists the things we are learning along the way that interest us....the heads up went away.

However, I am still confused and will have to pay more attention from now on. It seems to me, that especially lately, I am seeing more and more lenses that are all about things for sale. Nothing personal in the lenses. Does it have to do with the fact that text modules are being used to put in html for things for sale? I know that I put a photo in a text with big picture and that didn't change the heads up.

I am relieved that it's taken care of, and I want to say thank you to those who took the time to try to help me figure it out.

I'm still on my goal of putting at least little updates into all of my lenses, and getting them transferred from one notebook to the next. Mainly I am working in the intro, re-sizing the intro photo, attributing it if necessary, and adding a charity to donate 10% to if that's not been done yet. I still have 39 lenses to go before my transfer of notebooks is complete!

Some lenses I have worked more on, and several of my lenses pretty well get regular updates. It's a lot of work, but I do hope in the long run that the pay off will be well worth my efforts.

I'm going to close for this week, we need to run out to watch my granddaughter "graduate" from Headstart. I am sharing a couple of lenses in the linky this week that I spent the more time on updating. Link up with me!





5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the info. I actually got locked - I think it was because I had a couple of adaptive clothes for elderly seniors so I used the exact description for them although all the rest was my own writing. I went in and changed the words and applied for a look-see and they wonderfully changed it. YAY :) Always new things to learn on the internet. And so fun to find another grandmother on Squidoo - lots of us there, I think! :) Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update on your progress regarding updating your lenses and the opportunity to post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fortunately I have yet to have a lens locked and I am sorry that you have been one of the unfortunate ones to do so.
    I would like to address your comment about personal content on sales lenses. I firmly believe that there are a large group of shoppers that have absolutely no interest in what YOU (not personal) think of a product, or want to wade through a bunch of information. They just want a great picture of the product and a link to where they can buy it. I know this flies in the face of so much that others have taught and believe, but I cater to those 'visual' customers and do quite well.
    Now, that being said, this does not apply to all products as a kitchen appliance for example may require a bunch of information and your personal experience will be of value. My experience lies with products that are purchased purely on aesthetics, and once they have gotten to Amazon, providing the quality and the price are right, they buy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Working down my list of ToDo's and finally got to your blog hop! I wrote about my major update for this week too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always good to read about and learn from the experiences of other lensmasters. Thanks for sharing, Marsha.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...