Friday, December 30, 2011

TGIFF--What Can You Make With a $2 Sheet

Whew! I must apologize! I've had these things made for a month and I keep letting Friday slip by me without getting a Thank Goodness It's Finished Friday post in.

I wanted to share the things that I made with a $2 Dora sheet that I bought at a yard sale. It was a nice, like new, thicker sheet and I couldn't pass up buying it! My intention was to make just Dora fabric bags with it, but then I seen child's quilt.

This quilt was the first time I've ever tried hand quilting. I hand quilted around the pictures on the fabric as well as I hand sewed the edges as well. It took quite awhile to get it done.

Here is the finished quilt, with a matching pillow:


 Here is a close-up of some of the stitch work:
I also was able to make 2 fabric bags:
All leftover material I cut into strips.  These strips will be used in a bright colored toothbrush rug.  I have the strips ready to start on the rug, just not sure when I will get to that.  There was also a pillowcase with the sheet but I'm choosing to let the granddaughters share it on their pillows.

I also want to note---the pillow insert used for the Dora pillow was given to me by a lady at church.  My mom's friend gave me the quilted backing piece used on the quilt.  I did buy pink thread to sew with for $2.07 at Wal Mart.  I already had the pink cotton thread that I stitched with.  It was in with several used rolls my daughter had given me.
In total for less than $5, I was able to make these things.  I love it!!

I also want to note that the fabric bags, as well as the quilt were sold in my etsy store about as soon as I listed them.

I am working on squares for a quilt.  I do hope to have it completed by this time next Friday to post again!

4 comments:

  1. Great Job! I have heard that Dora is real big in the under 6 crowd (i guess I will be finding that out soon!). super cute idea and I am so happy to hear they sold in your etsy shop. I have been thinking about opening one up for a few years...maybe this is the year! I'd love to hear about your experiences with your own, maybe make a post about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! http://tgiffriday.blogspot.com/p/where-is-tgiff-schedule.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. My 4 year old would love those!! What a great idea! And a great way to practice hand quilting! I too am thinking about opening an etsy shop and would love to hear about your experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice job, Marsha! Your granddaughters will love it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...