Friday, February 19, 2016

Frugal Friday With Marsha--Thinking of Gardening


This past week the major conversations with my middle daughter have been all about gardening.  Her asking questions, her telling me what she is learning (such as planting Marigolds around to help keep bugs away).
For 2 years she came here for a day and helped me get a garden going (never very successful).  Last year I planted NOTHING, not one thing.   Last year she ended up with a great set up that I wish I had a picture of.  She took pallets and laid them down and covered them with potted plants.

Here is a picture of her starter plants:

I have told her all week how much I really want to get some things going for a garden this year.  You know, it may be on the frugal side as far as growing your own food, but getting started is not really cheap at all.   I know one year we spent over $200 on boards to surround, dirt, plants, seeds, etc.  We had a very abundant garden that year but when I attempted to keep track of what I would have spent for the food at the store, I didn't even get up to $100.
I also know that you can find many ways to garden very frugally, and very cheaply.  (I have picked out some books from amazon to share at the end of this post that I would love to have myself and then actually learn from)

I am currently reading devotions from a book called The Power of Proverbs by John Schroeppel.  Last nights Proverb was 12:11-- He who works his land will have abundant food, but he who chases fantasies lacks judgment.
Personally, I am taking this as a sign---a message from God, that I am indeed to get a garden going this year.

My middle daughter is here and has brought me dirt and some seeds to start.   We are about to get to work on that.  I will save out and buy at least tomato plants, bell pepper plants, and plant peas.  Off I go!

Here are the books I would like to have to learn from:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...