Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Wip Wednesday--At Least Some Progress

I tried really hard to get back to the schedule I have written up for myself on getting projects worked on, but it didn't work very well.

Thursday is set to be any UFO and I decided to get out the hexagon flower table runner that I worked on at the last quilt retreat.
I ended up very frustrated, to say the least.  If you remember, I had already started hand embroidering the blanket stitch around the edges of the flowers since I didn't have a sewing machine with the blanket stitch.
Since my new machine has the stitch, I started sewing the blanket stitch around a flower.  It looked good, so as I sewed (like a dummy) I was stopping to take out the hand embroidery.  Well.....in the end, the stitch was totally whacked out.  It worked fine on my sample cloth, but I am assuming something about going through the layers including the applique paper, didn't work.
UGH!!  As you will see in my photo, hours and hours later I decided to just try a straight stitch around the inside and outside of the flower.  Worked fine on the outside, but even the straight stitch through the layers of the flower didn't work right.  My thread kept breaking  :(
I will plug along with it, but it's put up again for awhile.

Sunday is to be my day to work on rugs.  Saturday instead of getting out hexagons, I chose to try to start yet another rug. (Yes, this would be why not much gets done and I have so many UFO's)  I had looked through a book titled Upcycled T-Shirts that a gal at quilt guild had.  I swore that inside I had seen the idea of making a latch hook rug with t-shit strips instead of the yarn pieces.
It turns out that the idea must have come to me while I was looking at the book, because although there are lots of cool ideas in the book, this wasn't one of them.
I will cut the rest of my strips down to bits before I put this away yet today, but so far it looks like it will be a neat rug.

Monday was our community sewing project day at quilt guild.  I sure thought I was going to get a lot further along on the 2 pink quilt tops I had made.  I only ended up getting the smaller pink one sandwiched and tied.  So, Thursday's will really need to be my day to finish these as they do have to be done by the meeting on February 22 when the agencies that are receiving them will come to our meeting to pick them up.

UFO's:

Rectangle quilt
challenge wall hanging
Hexagon quilt
Emerald Island Fusique table runner
Five and Dime quilt
Brown half square triangle table runner
3 sets of doll blanket, pillows and rug--plus more to sell
Hexagon flower table runner
Wall hanging for quilt guild
yo-yo's that need to be made into projects
black and white rail fence quilt
Arkansas Crossroads scrap quilt
T-shirt latchhook rug
Rainbow colored locker hook rug
T-shirt toothbrush rug

2015 Finishes:

Locker Hook Rug
re-do binding on blue and peach patchwork
9 lined fabric bags
yellow crazy quilt lined bag
Pink hexagon table topper
Blue hexagon table topper
Yo-Yo Table runner
GoodNight Irene quilt/wall hanging
Fractured Pineapple quilt
Charming Stars quilt
Challenge quilt for quilt guild
Autumn wall hanging
18 Hot pad bowls for Christmas gifts

What will be my first 2016 finish?

Here is the Upcycled T-shirt book for anyone else who is interested in making cool things with those t-shirts:



I am linking up with the following blogs:
WIP Wednesday at Freshly PiecedWIPs on Wednesdays

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...